Sunday, August 2, 2020

Creation Station: Where the Wild Things Are...Party Animals!


#stampinup   #creationstation   #faithfulinkspirations   Hello and welcome to the August edition of the Creation Station blog hop! Our team has a fun assignment this month--creating wild things and party animals!

When my kids were small, one of my favorite books was "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. I love that book because it shows a mother's love for her child--even when he's been so wild he's been sent to his room for a time out! #spoileralert I love the last line of the book: ..."and it was still hot." That book speaks to me of a mother's love--I'm not sure any of my kids understood that (and I'm not sure they'd get it now, even though they're nearly grown ups), but that book has always touched my heart.

So I had fun pulling out the stops to create a wild, party animal for this month's hop. I don't have too many animals in my collection of stamps, so I settled on the largest bird image in the "Free as a Bird" stamp set. I also had fun (and a little frustration) coloring a number of birds in fanciful colors--on Whisper White and on Watercolor Paper. I made some plaid birds, too. They were cute, but they weren't exactly right.

Then I thought about stacking the birds on top of each other and coloring them in Peeps colors. I couldn't quite get them to stack the way I'd envisioned. So I got out my Stamparatus and stepped the plate down to stamp the birds in a column in Memento Tuxedo Black. Then I moved the bird over and stepped the plate down for the next column, and so on. I liked the background image and decided that I needed a bird to let his freak flag fly and shake his tail feathers. He needed to stand out in a crowd.

So, I stamped the same bird image in Tuxedo Black onto Whisper White and colored him with Light and Dark Flirty Flamingo Stampin' Blends. I wanted him to be glittery so I sprinkled on some Silver and Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder--just a light dusting of powder on the bird and on the background. I set the embossing powder with my Heat Gun held underneath. (Trying to set it from the top will just blow the powder off the card stock; ask me how I know). Then I colored the bird with my Wink of Stella and sprinkled on Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder and set that with the Heat Tool, so now the bird sparkles and shines.


I cut out the bird image with a square Stitched Shape Die and adhered it to a scalloped Magenta Madness Card Stock Square that I cut with one of the Layering Squares Dies. I made a headdress for the bird by cutting three small leaves from the Forever Flourishing Dies and used a dot of Multi-Purpose Liquid Glue to adhere them to the bird's head. Next, I placed three Basic Rhinestone Jewels at the base of the leaves and colored them with the Dark Flirty Flamingo Stampin' Blend. I added some Wink of Stella to the leaves to make them sparkle, too.

I stamped the "Be You" sentiment from the "Rooted in Nature" stamp set in Magenta Madness Ink onto a Whisper White scrap, sprinkled on Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder, and set it with my Heat Tool. I cut the sentiment out with my Paper Snips and used a tiny strip cut off the edge of a sheet Stampin' Dimensionals to adhere the sentiment to the card.

I took a roundabout route to get to this finished card, but I'm super pleased with how it turned out!

Next up is the fabulous Mikaela Titheridge. 

Have fun exploring our wild and crazy party animals!

Stay healthy! Stay safe!


https://thecraftyoinkpen.co.uk/2020/08/creation-station-party-animals.html















Product List
Paper Snips
[103579]
$10.00
Stamparatus
[146276]
$49.00

2 comments: