Thursday, January 12, 2017

It's a "Yarn Bombing"

#stampinup   #faithfulinkspirations   Can you believe it?  Today is the last of my projects I made for Stampin' Up's OnStage Local event in November 2016.  It's my second 12x12 scrapbook page and it commemorates a "yarn bombing" that I happened upon in Mainz, Germany, last summer.

I was walking through Mainz old town and I overshot the side street that led back to my hotel.  I ended up in a part of town with apartments and no cafes and stores.  Since Mainz is right along the Rhine River, I knew if I headed toward the river, I'd find the main street and then I could walk along that back to the hotel.  Well, the streets in Mainz aren't laid out in a grid, so I did a lot of walking and backtracking.  I saw a tree ahead of me that looked like it had been painted, but when I got near enough, I saw that it was covered in yarn!  I took a bunch of pictures because I'd never seen anything like that.  When I got back to my hotel room, I Googled and found out that I'd stumbled upon a "yarn bombing!"  I thought it was the perfect subject for a scrapbook page!

I started with a 12x12 piece of Watermelon Wonder Card Stock.  I added an 8" by 8" square of Crumb Cake in the middle.  I used the Layering Squares Framelits to cut down two of the pictures and adhered them to a Watermelon Wonder scallop-edged square, also cut with the framelits.  I adhered a piece of Watermelon Wonder Card Stock to the larger picture and then used a piece of Serene Scenery Designer Series Paper Stack as a mat.  I think that piece looks like coiled yarn.  Once the photos were in place, I set about to add some embellishments.

I used the "Cool Treats" stamp set to stamp "cool" in Watermelon Wonder Ink onto a Whisper White scrap and made an exclamation point with one of the ice cream sticks and the dot from "Cool Treats" set.  I cut this out with one of the Layering Circles Thinlits.  I backed it with a just-larger Watermelon Wonder scalloped circle and a Crumb Cake scalloped circle, both cut with the same Thinlits.  I added a couple of Whisper White swirls from the Swirly Scribbles Framelits because I thought they looked like coiled yarn.
I used some Whisper White Thick Baker's Twine to crochet a chain and I hung some Whisper White and Crumb Cake flags on them.  The flags are cut with one of the Frozen Treats Framelits and run through the Cable Knit Embossing Folder.  Get it? Cable knit??


Since I had my crochet hook out, I crocheted a rosette from the Whisper White Thick Baker's Twine.  I knotted a length of Watermelon Wonder 5/8" Mini Striped Ribbon in the center and poked that through the rosette.  I cut a 2" strip of Thick Whisper White Card Stock and embossed it with the Cable Knit Embossing Folder.  I flagged the end with the Banner Triple Punch.  I cut a 1" strip of the Serene Scenery DSP and flagged it with the Banner Triple Punch, too.  I added these elements to the bottom of the page and used the Project Life by Stampin' Up Journaling Pen to added the description to the page.




Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment