Friday, January 6, 2017

I'll Take Mine with a Twist

#stampinup   #faithfulinkspirations   Yes, I know it's the middle of winter, but I like ice cream any time of the year!  My favorite ice cream is soft serve and I love to have a chocolate-vanilla swirl with rainbow sprinkles.  Yummo!  Today's card reminds me of my favorite ice cream treat--and I used one of my favorite card designs--a hinged card.

When I first saw a hinged card, I thought it was going to be crazy hard to make, but it's really simple! 

The ice cream element holds the bottom of the card to the top of the card--it's like a bridge. Clever, huh?

Here's how I made it. I started with a half sheet--cut lengthwise--of Watermelon Wonder Card Stock.  I scored it in the middle--at 5-1/2"--just like I was making a regular card.  Then I cut one side off at 2".  That forms the hinge at the top of the card.  I cut the leftover Watermelon Wonder so that I had a 2" by 4-1/4" piece.  And I used the leftover from that to cut the ice cream using the Frozen Treats Framelits.

I cut two 4" by 1-7/8" pieces of Peekaboo Peach Card Stock. I adhered one to the top hinge and one to the leftover Watermelon Wonder piece. I cut two 3-7/8" x 1-3/4" pieces of Fruit Stand Designer Series Paper and adhered these to the top hinge and to the Watermelon Wonder/Peekaboo Peach leftover piece.  I tied a length of Thick Whisper White Baker's Twine around the leftover piece.

Next, I cut a 4" by 5-1/4" piece of Whisper White Card Stock and adhered this to the inside of the card.  I stamped the word "sweet" from the "Cool Treats" stamp set in Watermelon Wonder in the center, as close to the right side as I could get it.  PRO TIP:  Use your leftover piece for proper center placement of the sentiment.  I added an extra sentiment that will be hidden when the card is closed.


For the ice cream cone element that holds the card together, I started with a 2" by 3-1/4" piece of Peekaboo Peach and a 1-7/8" by 3-1/8" piece of Whisper White.  I used Stampin' Dimensionals to adhere this to the top hinge of the card and to the formerly leftover piece--bridging the two elements of the card front.

I stamped the Early Espresso swirl onto the Watermelon Wonder ice cream.  I made a Crumb Cake cone using one of the Frozen Treats Framelits.  I adhered the cone directly to the panel and used Stampin' Dimensionals to add the ice cream.  For a finishing touch, I added some Wink of Stella to the chocolate.



Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment