Thursday, April 7, 2016

A Good Day

#stampinup  I received the "Happy Home" stamp set at last fall's OnStage Local event in Baltimore. It's not a set that I would choose myself. It requires some coloring and I don't like to color and I'm not very good at coloring. But this set has some cute images and I love the scrolly script on the sentiments, so I've been thinking and thinking for a while about how I could use this set.

Eventually, I got the idea to use a watercolor/color block technique that would add color without me having to actually color. Here's how I did it. 

I started with a piece of Shimmery White Card Stock cut to the same size as a D block (2-1/2" x 2-3/4"). I stamped the image in Basic Black Archival ink. Easy enough so far. Then, I put the clear acrylic block on top of the stamped image so I could see where the sky and land should be. I took a Pool Party stamp pad and stamped right onto the block. Then I took a Wild Wasabi block and stamped onto the block in the space I'd left for the grass. I gave the block a couple of squirts with water from a Stampin' Spritzer (PRO TIP: If you use alcohol, you'll get the same effect and it will dry faster) and stamped the block onto my already stamped image. I was really pleased with the mottled look of the colors.

I actually did a tiny bit of coloring. I used a Blender Pen to color the kid's (is that a boy or girl?) shirt and the kite in Calypso Coral and the shorts in Night of Navy. I colored the animal (I guess that's a dog because my cats would not be jumping for joy at a flying kit...I'm just sayin') in Soft Suede.

Once this piece was dry, I adhered it to a Basic Black mat. I used Fast Fuse Adhesive for this because the water had warped the paper a bit and I wanted it to lie flat, naturally!

I was momentarily stymied by the sentiment. I wanted to use "it's a good day," but the words are stacked vertically and I wanted a horizontal sentiment. Well, I hit a flash of inspiration to get a horizontal effect with a vertically stacked sentiment. I stamped the sentiment in Basic Black Archival Ink onto a Whisper White scrap and punched it out with the Note Tag Punch. I tucked the tag under the image so that it just peeks out from the side.

I embossed a Soft Sky panel with the Decorative Dots Embossing Folder. I added a Basic Black mat because I thought the Soft Sky Card Stock looked too washed out on the Wild Wasabi card base. I tied a length of Basic Black Stitched Satin Ribbon around the Soft Sky/Basic Black mat before adhering these to the card base.

Finally, I added the stamped image to the card using Stampin' Dimensionals. I'm really pleased with how the card turned out--even thought it took almost 5 months to come up with the design!

Product List
Blender Pens

No comments:

Post a Comment