Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Awesome at Any Age

#stampinup   #faithfulinkspirations   #protiptuesday   It's Tuesday, so it's time for a PROTIP. I'll be featuring PROTIPS every Tuesday--little tricks of the trade to make your stampin' life easier. This one is so simple, you're going to wonder why you never thought of it!

I store my ribbons in a drawer. They stay pretty well organized in there, but the twines that come on a spool tend to roll around and unspool and that drives me just a little bit crazy. Here's what your spool of  Night of Navy/Sahara Sand Baker's Twine looks like when you receive it.


PROTIP: If you want to keep it from unspooling, take your scissors and cut a little notch in the top of the cardboard tube. You can tuck the end of the twine into the notch and it won't unspool! Genius, right?


Now let's see a card made with this twine and with other products from the Come Sail Away Suite. I made this card for my BFF's hubby's birthday. She's a Stampin' Up demo, so I knew I needed to impress her as well as her husband!

I started with a Balmy Blue Card Stock card base. I stamped the compass rose stamp from the "Sailing Home" stamp set in Night of Navy and Balmy Blue Ink. Next, I cut a 2" by 5-1/2" piece of Come Sail Away Designer Series Paper and adhered it to a 2-1/4" by 5-1/2" piece of Night of Navy Card Stock. I wrapped a length of the Night of Navy/Sahara Sand Baker's Twine around this piece and then adhered it to the card base.

I cut a piece of Watercolor Paper with one of the Stitched Rectangles Dies and laid on a Night of Navy wash with an Aqua Painter. I kept the bottom darker and worked so that the top would be lighter navy. I had some Night of Navy Card Stock pieces that had already been embossed with the Subtle Embossing Folder so I used one of those to cut a larger rectangle with a Stitched Rectangle Die to use as a mat for the Watercolor Paper piece.

I stamped the larger sailboat from the "Sailing Home" set in Tuxedo Memento Black Ink onto Very Vanilla Card Stock and cut it out with one of the coordinating Smooth Sailing Dies. Here's another PROTIP for you: You can purchase the "Sailing Home" stamp set and Smooth Sailing Dies in a bundle and save 10% off the price of purchasing them separately! I colored the sails with Light Calypso Coral and Light Pumpkin Pie Stampin' Blends. I colored the ship with a Light Crumb Cake Stampin' Blend and the water beneath the ship with a Light Night of Navy Stampin' Blend. I used the Color Lifter to lighten the water just a bit--and that's your third PROTIP!

When the watercolor wash was dry, I stamped the birds from the "Sailing Home" set in Tuxedo Back and then adhered the watercolor piece to the Night of Navy mat. I adhered the sailboat to this piece with Mini Stampin' Dimensionals and adhered the whole assembly to the card with regular Stampin' Dimensionals.

I stamped a sentiment from the "Itty Bitty Birthdays" stamp set in Night of Navy Ink onto Balmy Blue Card Stock and cut it out with the label from the Smooth Sailing Dies set. I adhered this to the card with Stampin' Dimensionals.

For the inside, I stamped the anchor from the "Sailing Home" stamp set in Sahara Sand Ink onto a 4" by 5-1/4" piece of Sahara Sand Card Stock. I cut out the anchor with the matching Smooth Sailing Die. I adhered the Sahara Sand panel to the inside of the card and adhered the anchor to the negative space left when I cut it out, using Mini Stampin' Dimensionals. I stamped another sentiment from the "Itty Bitty Birthdays" set in Sahara Sand Ink.

Tomorrow is Want a Challenge? Wednesday. Come back and see which challenge I'll be playing along with!













Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment