Monday, January 26, 2015

Creative Blog Hop: Petal Potpourri

I was nominated by one of my stamping heroes, Shana Gaff, to take part in the Creative Blog Hop. It's a little different than the usual blog hop in that the hop is done by nomination. Not only do I share a project, I also tell you a little bit about my creative process, and then I get to nominate two stampers who will share their work with you next week. How awesome is that?
I'm playing along in a new-to-me challenge, the Hand Stamped Sentiments Paper Crafting Challenge blog. The challenge this week is a color challenge--and it's one of my favorite color combos!!



I thought the "Petal Potpourri" flowers would look awesome stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black directly onto Melon Mambo cardstock and I was right! I stamped three flowers and punched them out with the Flower Medallion Punch. Next, I got my package of "Back to Black" designer series paper. I wanted a sheet that wasn't too overpowering (whew! there are some BOLD patterns in that pack!). I choose this lattice pattern. I mounted the DSP onto a Melon Mambo panel and then onto a Basic Black card base. I used a bit of Melon Mambo 1/4" Cotton Ribbon to add some more color to the layout. The sentiment is from the "And Many More" stamp set, stamped in Tuxedo Black onto Whisper White and punched with the Large Oval Punch. I mounted all the elements with Stampin' Dimensionals. I curled the flower petals with my bone folder to give them a little bit of depth.

Here are the Creative Blog Challenge questions. I hope my answers help you get to know me a little better.

What are you working on?
I'm feverishly working ahead on my projects and blog entries. I'm going to be on a business trip for the first two weeks in February and I need to have two weeks' worth of projects and blog entries queued up while I'm gone. I'm also planning a couple of upcoming workshops and a birthday card stamp-a-stack. Sale-A-Bration is a busy time of year--but I love being busy with my stamping. It doesn't seem like "work" at all!


How does your work differ from others in your genre?
I'm not sure my work is much different. All the stampers I know and follow have an eye for layouts and colors. I always say that I'm not a very good artist, but I do have an eye for composition and color...usually. Sometimes things go awry and I end up with a hot mess...but you'll never see them!

Why do you create what you do?
I really like making cards because they're little pieces of artwork. I can create a finished, tiny work of art in a few minutes--sometimes within 30 minutes and sometimes, for more elaborate creations, in a few hours. I'm impatient and I like to see the results of my labors right away.

How does your creative process work?  
I'm usually on a self-imposed deadline. I work best under pressure. If I have a long time to think about a project, I lose focus. When I have a deadline--like when I need to create a card and post it on a blog before midnight so I meet my goal of blogging every weekday and I've just gotten home for the day at 10 PM--I can work fast. I actually start thinking about what I'm going to be creating while I'm driving home from work. I don't mind the traffic so much, because I'm creating in my head.  And I'm very, very fortunate to have a wonderful husband who plans and cooks the family meals, so I don't have to think about that on the drive home.

To keep the challenge blog going, I have nominated my Creation Station Design Team member (team captain!), Jen Arkfeld. Jen's stamping is bright and beautiful and clean and simple. These are elements that I aspire to. I'm so glad Jen agreed to participate in the Creative Blog Hop.

I failed to complete the task of nominating a second participant. I hope Jen will be able to keep the blog going. Be sure to stop by Jen's blog next Monday, February 2nd, to continue the hop!


 
Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment