Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Quoth the Raven

#stampinup   #faithfulinkspirations   I live a few miles from Baltimore and in my youth I spent many a Saturday night listening to friends playing jazz in local establishments.  On our way home to the suburbs afterwards, we'd often pass Westminster Hall in whose graveyard Edgar Allan Poe is buried. We'd always tell the story about how a mystery person would leave a bottle of cognac and three roses on Poe's grave every year on January 19 to mark his birthday. The last time this happened was on January 19, 2009, the day of Poe's 100th birthday.

Edgar Allen Poe wrote many stories and poems that fascinated me as I was growing up--you know, in that teenaged period where everything gothic and supernatural holds full force. Today's card puts me in mind of one of Poe's poems, "The Raven," and the graveyard in which Poe is buried.
I used the Botanical Tags Thinlits to cut the bird silhouette into a 3-7/8 by 5-1/8" piece of Basic Black Card Stock. I used the Hexagons Embossing Folder to emboss a 3-3/4" by 5" piece of Crushed Curry Card Stock. I tucked the Crushed Curry Piece inside the Basic Black piece so that the silhouette is on the front and the rest forms a Basic Black mat. I tied a length of Basic Black Shimmer Ribbon around this piece and set it aside for a second.

Next, I stamped a sentiment from the "Rooted in Nature" stamp set in Memento Tuxedo Black Ink onto the top of a Crush Curry Card Stock card base. I adhered the hexagon piece directly to the card.

This card was simple to make but its silhouette is striking, quoth the Raven.













Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment